Thursday, March 26, 2009

Italia

I've just returned from a wonderful whirlwind tour of Italy! Almost two weeks and seven cities: Venice, Florence, San Marino, Rome, Naples, Pompeii, and Sorrento. And we managed to not only go to Italy, but two more countries as well...San Marino and Vatican City!

I'll probably write more detailed entries for each city later, but for right now, presenting my completely biased look at Italy...

Food:

Of course, the pizza and pasta in Italy was excellent! The pizza was a bit different than NY style---but still good. ;) And I learned that in Italy you eat pizza with a knife and fork. It's much too firm to fold over like you do with New York pizza. It's also quite basic: the classic Margarita (just mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, and basil) or Neapolitan (no cheese). The real treat, however, was gelato. Not ordinary ice cream by any means! It's similar to the Rochester classic Abbott's frozen custard in that it's much creamier and thicker than your average ice cream. Also it came in so many unusual flavors: tiramisu, lemon, Nutella, honey, caramel, Kinder biscuit, and I even saw popcorn flavored gelato (I didn't try that one).

In fact, real Italian gelato is so good that I made this pie chart to demonstrate:



So...the verdicts?

Best pizza: Naples, by a long shot. After all, it was invented there.
Best pasta: Florence.
Best gelato: Venice, by a long shot. It had the cheapest and most delicious...mmm....
Best coffee and cannolis: Rome. Also the best food overall.

Favorite city for...

Peaceful, relaxing atmosphere: Venice
Beautiful art and architecture: Florence
Nature: San Marino
History: Tie between Pompeii and Rome
Sheer craziness: Naples, hands down. I feared for my life in that city! Mopeds driving on sidewalks, no pedestrian crossings, no traffic lights, no lanes! Let's just say that taking a taxi in Naples was one of the most interesting moments of my life. I didn't know that it was possible to drive like Mario Cart in real life!

All in all, I loved Italy! It's such a beautiful country, and (except for Rome, which was weirdly chilly) it was so warm and sunny! I felt like it was summer!

More to come later!

No comments: