Friday, May 15, 2009

Eurotrip first stop: Bruges, Belgium

Our last trip during the month-long "Spring Break" between spring and summer terms started off in Belgium. Once again I fell asleep on the Eurostar, but when I woke up I immediately knew we weren't in England anymore. The landscape and houses looked so different! Bruges was a great place to see some traditional Flemish architecture. It's such a "medieval" city, with great canals. The churches were also quite different in style to ones I'd seen before. I loved every minute of the short time we spent there, it was such a nice place to be.







And of course, I have to mention the food...delicious! Our first night there I had a warm stew with leeks, carrots, potatoes, and chicken. It made up for all of the junk food I ate the next day! Bruges is known for its chocolate, so we basically went around all day eating pralines (which are like bonbons). Chocolate stores are Bruges' Starbucks; they're on every corner. They're also known for Belgian waffles (surprisingly enough!) and French fries smothered in mayonnaise. Yes, mayo. I decided to be a local and tried some. It was...not as bad as you'd think. The mayo tasted a bit different than American mayo, which was a good thing! But they put way too much on, I started to feel sick by the end of it! I got the fries at a carnival in the town square. We saw the Low Countries at just the right time for carnivals, as you'll see in my next post.



Oh, and I saw an old-fashioned working windmill by the river!

No comments: